The Trick to Keeping Ants Out of Your Irvine Home
It's that time of year again! As summer comes to a close, ants can continue marching in for all that your Irvine home offers. Ants, arguably, have the easiest time entering the home as they can squeeze through the tiniest cracks. However, there's no need to give up on the joys of California living. There are several ways to keep these ants at bay, and we can help!
Types of Irvine Ants
First, it's important to understand the types of ants that are common in Irvine.
- Argentine ants can range from tan to black and tend to dominate space, pushing out other types of ants. In extreme conditions, Argentine ants move their outside nests near the exterior of buildings.
- Pharaoh ants are smaller and lighter, traveling far to search for food. They are more hazardous to human health, more apt to enter homes, and are generally eliminated by baiting.
- Crazy ants, dubbed "crazy" because of their erratic movements, are roughly the size of Argentine ants and are also black. They prefer to make their nests within buildings and feed on insects.
- Odorous ants are similar in size to Argentine and crazy ants and have a shiny black color. When smashed, they emit a strong rotten smell. These ants like sweet things and are commonly found in households.
- Fire ants can be yellow, red, or black, and prefer nests in the dirt, decayed wood, and below boards and pavement. Fire ants are on the US Department of Agriculture list of invading pests. They get their name from their aggressive nature and painful stings.
What Attracts Ants to the Home?
As ants come into homes looking for shelter, food, and water, it's no surprise that they are common in kitchens and bathrooms. They prefer sweet foods, but even small spills or other fragrant substances are attractive to ants. Once an ant locates a food source it will mark the location with pheromones for other ants to follow. If possible, it's a great idea to eliminate that initial unwanted house guest!
Repelling Household Ants
An essential first step in repelling ants in the home is to identify entry points. These can be torn or broken screens, door sweeps, windows, etc. Any crevice is an invitation for ants. Seal up any gaps, especially in windows and doors, to prevent entry. Caulking cracks in the foundation and walls is another great way to ensure that your home is adequately sealed.
Beyond limiting entry points, it is also important to limit factors that might attract ants in the first place. Be sure to regularly conduct a deep cleaning of household surfaces, especially in the kitchen and bathroom nooks and crannies. Wipe down surfaces around furniture and appliances. Clean floors. Seal up any access to food in the home in airtight containers, including pet food. Empty trash cans. Treat the war against ants as one of attrition by eliminating their food sources. This is crucial as ant colonies generate and spread quickly!
Aside from limiting food sources, there are a few other ways to repel ants. Ants are always searching for water. Clean any moist areas and take care of spills quickly. You can also invest in DIY ant repellant techniques and over the counter remedies at the first sign of ants on your property.
Call a Professional
Ants are invasive, and it's often the case, especially when infestations are large, that they can get out of control! Not to worry! Malang Pest Control has you covered with our team of professionals. We can help you get rid of pesty ants quickly and easily with safe products, year-round treatments, and a service guarantee. Our professionals will help get you back to enjoying your home. Want to know more about our process? Check out our FAQs page!
Give us a call today at (949) 398-2525 or schedule an appointment online. Our goal is to provide the best pest control you've ever had!