What are bed bugs?
Bed bugs are insects that live mainly indoors with people. Blood from warm-blooded animals is the sole source of food for bed bugs, and human blood is their favorite. Adult bed bugs have a flattened oval-shaped body and grow to about a quarter of an inch long. They are a reddish-brown color. After feeding their appearance changes, the body swells and elongates, and they turn more reddish-purple.
Signs that these insects have made their way into your home include finding dark streaks or drops of blood on bedding, pillows, mattresses, walls, or floors; noticing a sweet, musty odor in your house; discovering piles of shed skins under mattresses, in drawers, or on the floor.
Are bed bugs dangerous?
Bed bugs are unwanted pests, but not necessarily dangerous pests. The spread of diseases by bed bugs is not currently a significant threat. Bed bugs are nocturnal pests, biting, and feeding on our blood as we sleep. As you can imagine having bed bugs in your home will cause a lack of sleep and increase stress levels. Their bites are itchy, and itching at the bite sites could cause a secondary infection to develop.
Why do I have a bed bug problem?
Unlike other insects that move from place to place by flying or jumping, bed bugs move from place to place by hitchhiking. They move into our homes on us or on our personal items.
Bed bugs are efficient crawlers, and inside of our homes will move from room to room or between units, moving behind walls and under floors along wires and pipes.
Where will I find bed bugs?
The bed bug's indoor lifestyle means these insects are a threat throughout the entire year. An infestation in your home could happen anytime. Some of the most common places bed bugs hide in a home include:
- The seams of mattresses, box springs, and upholstered furniture.
- Cracks in walls, floors, and wooden furniture.
- Inside wall voids behind electrical outlets.
- Under clutter and piles of dirty laundry.
- Behind clocks, pictures, and other wall hangings.
Contact with bed bugs can happen anywhere there are people in public environments or a friend or family member's home. Hotels, airports, houses, apartments, libraries, movie theaters, shopping centers, and healthcare facilities are common places people unknowingly encounter hitchhiking bed bugs.
How do I get rid of bed bugs?
At Malang Pest Control, we are "focused on providing the best pest control services you've ever had!" To completely rid your Irvine, CA area home of bed bugs, partner with us. We will eliminate your current issues with bed bugs and work with you to stop them from returning through modern solutions and advanced techniques.
If bed bugs have found a way into your home or business, reach out to us today. We will be happy to provide you with detailed information about our bed bug control services.
How can I prevent bed bugs in the future?
Prevent bed bugs in the future by partnering with Malang Pest Control, and using the following prevention tips.
- When out in public places, don't place your personal belongings on the floor for long periods.
- If possible, don't purchase used furniture, mattresses, or box springs for your home.
- If you are buying used items, make sure to thoroughly clean and inspect them for bed bugs before bringing them inside.
- Reduce hiding spots in your home by reducing clutter.
- Place bed bug proof covers on all mattresses and box springs in your home.
- Vacuum your floors, upholstered furniture, and the seams of mattresses and box springs regularly to help prevent bed bugs.
Recent Blog Posts
Schedule Your Free Inspection
Complete the form below to schedule your no obligation inspection.